Saturday, April 1, 2017

I Need a Job

Momma scooped two chocolate chip pancakes onto my plate. "Chloe, I'm sorry we didn't get to go anywhere for your Spring Break. Peyton is still a bit too little to go any place. And with the hospital bills that we have to pay since he came early, we just needed to watch our money."

My mouth was full of pancake, so I just nodded. But I thought about what Momma had said. I probably needed to help out.

After breakfast I knew exactly what to do. "Momma, I'm gonna go to the Brooks' house. Okay?"

"Okay, dear."

I sprinted across the back yard, jogged onto the back porch, and knocked.

Mr. Brooks slid the door open. "Well, if it isn't our neighbor, Miss Chloe Ann. Come in."

"Thanks, Mr. Brooks. I needed to speak with you and Mrs. Brooks."

Mr. Brooks' forehead wrinkled even more than usual. "Of course. Let's go to the study."

I followed close behind him.

"Honey, Miss Chloe Ann wants to speak with us on some matter."

Mrs. Brooks patted the couch beside her. "Sit down here with me, Chloe."

I eased next to her. "I'll get right to the point. I need a job."

Mrs. Brooks' eyes widened. "A job, you say?"

"Yes. It seems that the kid was really expensive, which is why we couldn't take a trip for Spring Break. If you ask me, Momma should've thought of that before she ordered him. I wondered if you have any work for me?"

Mrs. Brooks crossed her arms over her chest and tapped her chin with one finger. "Let me see. I could use someone to dust these bookshelves." She motioned toward them. "I can train you and then offer ten dollars."

I sat up straighter. "Yes, I'll take it."

Mrs. Brooks smiled. "Then you're hired."

"I could use a good stick-picker-upper. Do you think you could handle that?" Mr. Brooks' eyebrows rose. "With the many sticks out there, I'd pay ten dollars as well."

"Oh yes. I'm a good picker-upper."

Mrs. Brooks rubbed her hands together. "It's settled." She reached her hand toward me. "Shall we shake on it?"

I grabbed her hand and gave it a firm shake.

*********************
Why do you think Chloe felt like she needed to get a job?

Do you think Chloe will be helping the Brooks by doing the chores? Explain.



No comments:

Post a Comment