Saturday, April 29, 2017

Field Trip

I zipped down the stairs and into the kitchen. "Momma, I can't wait. Today is our field trip to the Rain Forest Adventure Zoo."

"Yes, I know. You'll have a fun time, I'm sure."

"I sure hope so." Daddy walked in, plopped onto a stool, and yawned. "Thought you'd never go to sleep last night."

I grinned. "I was a little bit excited."

"A little bit?" Daddy's eyebrows popped up.

Momma chuckled. "Just remember to be careful with your arm."

*********
Soon after arriving at school, the whole class filed onto the bus. It sounded like a bunch of bees with all of us talking at once.

The bus driver stopped at the railroad tracks. "Everybody quiet. I have to listen for any approaching trains." He opened the door, looked both ways, then shut the door back. "Okay."

I looked out the window. "Well, we weren't squashed like a pancake."

Mrs. Taylor turned around. "And I'm glad about that."

The bus pulled in front of the Rain Forest place and we followed in a line off and through the front doors.

We started our tour.

Emalie pointed. "Look at that hedgehog. Isn't he cute?"

One of the workers explained about how the hedgehog will roll into a ball, then she demonstrated.

We all made ooh sounds.

I saw chicks and little goats. There were rats and mouses that I didn't really like. The Bearded Dragon lizard was really cool looking. But I didn't want to pet the snake or the spider.

Jill motioned for me. "Chloe, come here. Look. It's a ferret."

All of the sudden something wet squirted at us.

"Yikes! He peed on us." I wiped at the damp places on my arm.

"No, the ferret didn't pee on you." Mrs. Taylor walked up behind us.

Jill's eyes widened. "Felt like he did."

"That's just the water spray. They have to make it like the rain forest, remember?" Mrs. Taylor patted Jill's back.

I swiped my hand across my forehead. "Whew. I'm glad to hear that. I was wondering how I was gonna explain to Momma about having pee on my shirt."

Mrs. Taylor chuckled.
********************
Chloe was so excited about her field trip that she had trouble going to sleep. Have you ever been that excited about a trip? Explain.

Why do you think Chloe didn't want to pet the snake or the spider? Would you have petted them?

No comments:

Post a Comment