Monday, January 30, 2017

Tooth Crisis

(Please excuse the lateness of this post. Mrs. Mowery was out of town over the weekend and did not have access to post what is happening with Chloe. But here it is. Tooth Crisis!)


Now for a little commercial before Chloe's adventure continues. Please stick close. The Adventures of Chloe Ann Parker - First Grade is almost ready to release. Soon the cover will be revealed which features a first grade version of Chloe. Mrs. Taylor's first grade class excitedly approved of the cover and two inside illustrations.


*********************************************************************************

I finished my breakfast and skipped back upstairs to brush my teeth. As the toothbrush slid over my lower front teeth something was different. Hmm, weird. I brushed the top and back. When I ran back over those lower front ones, it happened again.

After rinsing my mouth, I leaned close to the mirror and stuck out my teeth. "Oh, no!" I touched the tooth with my finger and it wiggled. "Momma!" I ran back downstairs.

"What is wrong?" Momma met me in the living room.

"Look." I moved the tooth with my finger. "A loose tooth."

Momma smiled. "It was bound to happen sooner or later. You can't keep those baby teeth."

"Why not? They've worked for me so far."

Momma chuckled. "Of course they have. But from now on you'll need to grow in your big teeth."

"But I don't think I want to."

"Sorry, it's something everybody has to go through. You'll be fine. Haven't any of your friends at school lost teeth?"

"Well, yeah, but ..." I shivered. "Sometimes they bleed."

Momma patted my back. "It's okay. Now time for school. Preston!"

She called for Daddy. She seemed so calm about this crisis. I needed to get to school and ask my friends about this teeth losing thing. Momma probably didn't remember what it was like anyway.

****************************
At lunch time I stared at the triangle of pizza on my tray. How could I eat with my loose tooth? Surely it would hurt.

"Chloe, are you feeling sick or something?" Belinda said.

"No, I just don't know how I'm going to eat this."

Leonardo shrugged. "What do you mean?"

"I have a loose tooth. See?" I moved the lower tooth a tiny bit with my finger.

"You'll be okay," Ryan said.

"But won't it hurt?"

Angela shook her head. "No. It will get looser and looser and then plop. It will come out."

Didn't sound too good to me.

McKenzie leaned around Ryan. "Don't worry. Just wiggle it. When it gets really loose, Mrs. Watkins can pull it. She's an expert."

"Pull it?"

McKenzie nodded. "You have to. You have to make room for the big tooth that will grow there."

I swallowed.

"Don't be afraid. And anyway, you get money from the Tooth Fairy."

Curiouser. "The Tooth Fairy?"

McKenzie smiled. "You put your tooth under your pillow when you go to bed and then in the morning there's money."

I sat up a little straighter.

"I got ten dollars for this one and this one." McKenzie opened her mouth and pointed.

I was beginning to feel better, especially about getting money from the Tooth Fairy.

****************
Later at home, I sat on the stool in the kitchen and wiggled and wiggled my tooth.

Momma leaned closer and studied my wiggling. "Do you want me to pull it? It looks mighty loose."

I shook my head. "Oh, no, Momma. I'll let Mrs. Watkins do it. She is a professional."

******************
Why was Chloe so afraid about her loose tooth?

Her friends tried to help her by sharing their experience with loosing teeth. Have you lost any teeth? Were you afraid? Explain about a tooth you lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment