Saturday, December 10, 2016

Curious

Time ticked closer and closer to P.E. Most of the time I liked going to the gym and doing what Mr. Parrott had planned. But lately, I didn't much care for the kicking game we were playing.

"Okay, class, let's head to the gym for P.E. class." Mrs. Taylor stood at the door waiting for us to line up.

I trudged to a spot at the end of the line and groaned.

Belinda glanced at me. "What's wrong? Are you sick?"

I nodded. "Kinda. I really don't like what we're doing in P.E."

"Aw, come on. It's just kicking a soccer ball and running," Leonardo said.

"That's easy for you to say. You can kick the ball really good. I just can't do it."

The line moved and soon we were running our laps around the gym. After our exercises at homebase, we listened as Mr. Parrott explained the game again and assigned partners.

McKenzie raised her hand. "Mr. Parrott, can I have Chloe as my partner?"

Mr. Parrott shrugged. "I suppose so."

McKenzie ran up beside me.

"McKenzie, don't you remember that I'm no good at this game? You should get another partner." I crossed my arms.

"Nope, I want you as my partner."

When it was our turn, McKenzie ran much slower than I knew she could. That allowed me to get some points.

"Thanks for helping me out."

"It's okay. You would help me if I needed it." She smiled. "And anyway, with a little more practice, you'll be able to kick better."

****

Later when I hopped into the backseat of Momma's car, I told her all about what McKenzie had done for me.

"That's nice, dear."

That's nice, dear? "Momma, did you hear me?"

"I'm sorry. I'm a little distracted."

Very curious. 

"I need to warn you that there's a man painting the room across from yours."

Sure enough when we arrived home, a man from our church was painting the walls blue. Bleck. I would have picked pink. Pink is much more beautifuller than blue. The smell was strong.

"Momma, can I go read with Mrs. Brooks? That paint stinks." I waved my hand in front of my nose.

"Sure, honey. I'll make sure the window is opened in there and the door is closed. Those fumes won't be healthy for me. Or ... anybody ... I mean."

"Okay, Momma."

As I walked across the back yard to Mrs. Brooks' house, I couldn't help thinking something curious was going on with Momma. She hadn't been acting in a my momma kind of way. I would keep my eyes and ears open. Kinda like solving a mystery.

*********

Chloe isn't good at kicking the soccer ball. Is there anything you have found that you aren't quite good at? What is it?

What could Chloe do to improve her kicking? McKenzie suggests she practice.

What could you do to improve at something you aren't quite good at?

Why does Chloe say that she will keep her eyes and ears open?




No comments:

Post a Comment