Saturday, September 24, 2016

Overhearing Another Plan

Mrs. Taylor’s class filed through the lunch line. I sat down between Efren and Ryan. We have to sit boy/girl in the cafeteria since we tend to get loud.

Amy leaned around Efren. “Hey, Chloe, how did your plan work out with Mrs. Smith and Mr. Brooks?”

“So great. I think it worked. I taped the notes to their doors. Then I left Mrs. Smith’s dog, Rosy, for Mr. Brooks. I told him I didn’t have time to return her so he would have to. I rushed back to my house and spied on the two of them. When Mrs. Smith opened her door, the two of them talked and then just laughed. And you know what?”

“No, what?” Amy’s eyebrows rose.

“They went into Mrs. Smith’s house and they were laughing.”

“Sounds like you did a good job getting them together,” Efren said.

I nodded. “I’m thinking you’re right.”

*******
I skipped through the door that afternoon, happy with myself. After dropping my backpack in its place in the kitchen, I jumped onto the stool.

Momma pushed some grapes and a drink closer to me. The doorbell rang. Momma held up one finger. “I’ll be right back.”

I wondered who that could be at this time. Suddenly, Mr. Brooks’ voice carried into the kitchen. He was saying something about Mrs. Smith. I eased off the stool and stood at the corner. Was he going to tell Momma how much he loved Mrs. Smith because of the notes?

“Mrs. Parker, I’m truly concerned for little Rosy. I mean, Mrs. Smith obviously can’t take care of her like she should. Why, she has asked Chloe to walk and exercise her. Being a former veterinarian, I think Rosy would be better off with me. I will have to trick Mrs. Smith into letting me take Rosy. Mrs. Smith did write me a note to say she likes me. I don’t think she’ll even catch on to my plan.”

What? Mr. Brooks can’t take Mrs. Smith’s dog from her. She needs Rosy.

“Whatever will you do?” Momma said.

“Tomorrow evening Mrs. Smith has asked me to supper at about five o’clock. I plan to talk to her and trick her then.”

“Mr. Brooks, you have to do what you feel is right.”

I can’t believe Momma is saying that. How can tricking poor Mrs. Smith out of her dog be the right thing?

The front door closed. I rushed back to my stool and started eating again. I could barely swallow. I had to do something to protect Mrs. Smith.

I tried my best all evening to act normal. I didn’t want Momma to know I had listened in on her conversation with Mr. Brooks. I didn’t agree with her or Mr. Brooks. Tricking Mrs. Smith was not the right thing to do.

********
On the playground the next day, I told my friends about what Mr. Brooks had said.

“You’ve got to do something,” Ryan said.

“Yeah, in a way, this is a little bit your fault,” said Weston.

“What? My fault?”

Amy patted my back. “You did help Mrs. Smith fall in love with Mr. Brooks.”

“But I didn’t know he wouldn’t like her back. I didn’t know he was gonna turn out to be a bad guy.”

“So, what are you going to do?” Jill spoke up.


“The only thing I can do. I’ll have to go to that supper tonight and set Mr. Brooks straight and tell Mrs. Smith the truth.” I bit my lip. “I sure hope Mrs. Smith’s feelings aren’t hurt too bad.”

****************
Why did Weston say that this was a little bit of Chloe's fault?

If you were Chloe, what would you do? 

No comments:

Post a Comment