Monday, April 4, 2016

Chloe Saves the Day!

Momma's car pulled up next in the after school line.

"Chloe Parker," the lady with the dark hair and pretty eyes called.

I trotted out to the car and hopped into my booster seat.

Momma glanced back. "Hi Sweetie. How was school today?"

"Really good, as always in Mrs. Potts' class. But did you know we have like only 32 days left of school?"

"Yes, I know. Summer is coming fast."

I groaned. "Yep, I guess."

"What's wrong?"

"Well, not that I don't like summer time with you Momma, but that means I only have 32 more days with Mrs. Potts. I'll have to move on to another teacher next year."

"That's right. You're growing up. And I know you'll miss your teacher, but I'm sure you'll get another teacher you love in first grade."

I thought about that on the way home. Momma was right. I hadn't even paid attention to the first grade teachers. Who might I have? I would keep my eyes open for sure.

At home, I sprinted to the door ahead of Momma. She caught up and stuck the key into the doorknob, pushed it open, and held it for me. Just as I started to lift my foot, a whimpering sound caught my attention. I stopped.

"What is it, honey?"

I listened real hard. "I thought I heard something crying." I whispered to Momma, still trying to catch the sound again.

Momma stepped back onto the carport. We both stood very still.

A faint squeak came from the back of the house. Me and Momma looked at each other. Momma's eyes widened and her eyebrows shot up.

I left my backpack on the ground and followed Momma. At the back of the house we stood very still again.

The whining sound was a little louder.

"Momma, I think it's coming from over here." I ran and bent over, looking under the deck.

We got on our hands and knees. Momma pulled out the little flashlight that was attached to her keys. She flipped it on. The light glinted off something and Momma moved in closer.

"It's Rosy!" I shouted. I reached out my hand. "Come here, Rosy."

Rosy whined again. Finally she inched out and snuggled close to me.

"Poor thing, she's trembling." Momma rubbed Rosy's head. "You know, I did hear a commotion earlier. I wonder if that big dog down the street got out and chased her under here?"

I petted the little dog with a soft touch. "Poor baby." I sat criss cross applesauce and Rosy hopped into my lap. "That big bad doggie is all gone. Don't you worry."

"Chloe, we need to take her back to Mrs. Smith."

"Aw, Momma. Do we have to?"

"Come on. Mrs. Smith will be happy to get her back."

"I don't know about that. I'm not sure Mrs. Smith knows how to smile."

I trudged behind Momma across the side yard to Mrs. Smith's back door. Momma raised her hand to knock but the door flew open.

"So there's my Rosy." Mrs. Smith bent over, snatched the dog from my arms, and glared at me with a mean look on her face. "What are you doing with my dog? Are you luring her over to your house?"

I mashed my lips together, jammed my fists on my hips, and stomped my foot. "Excuse me ..."

Momma patted my shoulder. "Mrs. Smith, my daughter hasn't done anything with your dog. She has been away at school all day. We found Rosy under our deck. Chloe heard her whimpering."

"So you say." Mrs. Smith whipped around back inside her house and shut the door.

I crossed my arms over my chest. "She didn't even say thank you."

Momma smoothed my hair and smiled. "That's okay. We did the right thing."

Later after supper, I overheard Momma telling Daddy about how rude Mrs. Smith was. I was swinging on my new swingset. I don't think Momma knew I could hear her.

Suddenly, Rosy appeared at my feet. She barked wildly, spinning around.

"You better go home."

The dog skittered away but turned back around, still barking in a high pitch. I stopped my swing. Rosy sprinted back to me and nudged my leg.

"What's wrong?" I slipped down from the swing seat and Rosy raced toward her house. I slowed but the little dog whirled around and barked frantically. "Okay." I jogged hesitantly up to Mrs. Smith's porch where Rosy had stopped.

Rosy whined. Mrs. Smith lay sprawled out on the porch floor. Her eyes were closed.

I hurried back to the edge of the yard. "Momma, Daddy, come quick. Something's wrong with Mrs. Smith."


*****************

Chloe really likes her teacher, Mrs. Potts. Have you had a teacher you liked so much that you didn't want to go on to the next grade? Describe that teacher and the things you liked about her/him.

Chloe is upset that Mrs. Smith doesn't even thank her for returning Rosy. Momma tells her that they did the right thing. What did Momma mean?

Make a prediction. What do you think will happen next in the story?







No comments:

Post a Comment