Saturday, August 13, 2016

First Grade Without My Best Friend?

"Momma, I just don't know if I can do first grade without Katie."

"Honey, I know you're disappointed that Katie isn't in your class, but you'll be fine. You and Katie can still have get-togethers and sleep-overs."

I filled my cheeks with air and blew it out. "It won't be the same."

Momma moved up behind another car in the drop-off line. "You're right. It won't be the same. But go make the best of it. Do a good job for Mrs. Taylor and make some new friends." She stopped the car and looked back at me. "Now go have a good day, and I'll pick you up after school. Love you."

"Love you too," I said in a low voice.

"Chloe, come on. Give me a smile."

I tried really hard to smile, but I didn't feel like it. Momma waved, and I waved back.

My feet dragged up the steps into the school gym. Soon they called for first grade, and I headed down the hall toward Mrs. Taylor's room.

"Good morning, Chloe." Mrs. Taylor smiled.

"Good morning."

As I put my backpack away, Mrs. Taylor called out morning instructions to two boys. They didn't seem to hear her. Mrs. Taylor repeated her instructions four times more before the boys got it.

I shook my head and patted my poor teacher's arm. "Mrs. Taylor, you have a really hard job."

Later in the school day Mrs. Taylor read us a book about a boy who broke all the rules in school. I remembered the two boys from this morning.

"Class, let's draw a picture of you with the boy from the book following the rules. Then you can write a sentence about it underneath your picture." Mrs. Taylor switched on the smart board. "Here's my picture and sentence."

I knew exactly what I would draw - me and the boy listening to the teacher's instructions the first time.

"Chloe, your picture is very nice," the girl next to me said.

"Thanks. I like yours too." Maybe I could make the best of it and have new friends too in first grade. 



**********
Chloe's momma told her to make the best of it. What did she mean?

Why do you think Chloe thought Mrs. Taylor's job was hard?

Do you think teachers have a hard job? Why or why not? Explain your answer.

Chloe knew that Mrs. Taylor's job could be easier if the students listened to her instructions the first time. What can you do to make your teacher's job easier?


No comments:

Post a Comment